- For the pastry
- 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 112g caster sugar
- 300g plain flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- For the filling
- 6 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 675g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest (4 to 6 lemons)
- 240ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 150g plain flour
- Icing sugar, for dusting
2) Turn out the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into a 23 by 33 by 5cm baking sheet, building up a 0.5cm edge on all sides. Chill.
3) Bake the pastry for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
4) For the filling, whisk together the eggs, caster sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and plain flour. Pour the filing over the shortcrust pastry base and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until set.
5) Remove from the oven and leave to cool to room temperature. Cut into squares or triangles and dust with icing sugar.