Levi Roots' Roasted Sweet Potato and Feta Burgers
- 120g fine porridge oats (optional)
- 2 sweet potatoes, white fleshed variety if possible, peeled and cut into 6cm cubes
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, with seeds, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and very finely chopped
- 4 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 2 tsp finely ground coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large organic egg
- 200g feta, crumbled
1. If you’re using oatmeal, lightly toast it in a dry frying pan, stirring often, until lightly brown, for about 5 minutes.
2. Put the sweet potatoes into a pan of water, bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer until tender, about 6 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, put all the remaining ingredients except the egg, feta and oats, into a mixing bowl and combine well.
4. Drain the sweet potatoes, mash them with a fork and add them to the mixing bowl along with the egg, then carefully stir in the feta. Form the mixture into 6 patties and press them into the toasted oatmeal (if using). Wrap each patty in a single sheet of foil. These can rest in the fridge for up to 5 hours.
5. Cook the foil-wrapped burgers on the barbecue for 10 minutes, turning over once. Put a parcel on each plate, open them up and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Waitrose