Sweet potato and parsnip latkes with chunky 5-spice apple sauce
- For the latkes
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled
- 250g parsnips, peeled
- 40g plain flour
- 2 large eggs
- 60ml vegetable oil
- Sour cream, for serving
- 2 spring onions, sliced thinly on the bias, for serving
- For the apple sauce
- 6 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp pressed apple juice
- 0.5 tsp chinese 5-spice powder
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
Serves: 12 latkesFor the latkes:
1) Using a box grater, grate the sweet potatoes and the parsnips into a large bowl. Season with salt and toss to combine. Add the flour and stir to distribute evenly. Add the eggs and stir well.
2) In a large saute pan over a medium heat, heat 30ml of the vegetable oil.
3) Form the potato mixture into 7.5cm latkes that are about 1–1.5cm thick. Add the latkes to the vegetable oil and fry until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate and season with salt. Repeat this procedure with all of the potato/parsnip mixture, adding more fat as necessary.
4) Serve the latkes with apple sauce, sour cream and green onions.
For the applesauce:
1) In a large saucepan over a medium heat, combine the apples, lemon juice and zest, apple cider, 5-spice powder and sugar and stir to mix well.
2) Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until apples begin to break down, but are still chunky. Remove from the heat and cool.