Island Ahi burgers with coriander-chilli-lime sauce
- For the sauce
- 2 chilli peppers
- 120ml mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For the burgers
- 1 egg
- 45g panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 1/2 tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 700g tuna fillets, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- For the assembly
- 4 seeded Kaiser rolls, split
- 1 large Maui onion (or other sweet onion), thinly sliced
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato, sliced
- 1 package radish or sunflower sprouts
1) Char the peppers over a gas flame or under the grill until blistered on all sides. Enclose in a paper bag and leave to stand for 15 minutes. Peel the peppers, remove the stem and seeds and dice.
2) Measure 45g of diced peppers into a small bowl and add the mayonnaise, sour cream, coriander, lime juice, ginger, garlic and salt. Stir well and then set aside until required.
1) Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat the egg and stir in the panko, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, lime juice and zest, chilli flakes and salt. Add the tuna and combine gently. Form the mixture into 4 burgers.
2) Heat the vegetable oil on a nonstick griddle over a medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Toast the rolls during the last few minutes of cooking.
3) Spread some of the sauce on the roll bottom and add the burger. Top with onion, tomato, sprouts, and additional sauce to taste. Add the roll tops and devour.