Kicked-Up Tuna Melts
An all-American favourite with Emeril's special addition of herbs.
- 4 (140g) tins solid white tuna packed in water, drained
- 2 stalks celery heart (with leaves), chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 40g plus 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled between your fingers
- 8 slices rustic white bread or other dense white bread
- 8 thin slices tomato, optional
- 113g sliced brie or provolone cheese
- 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter
- Salad (hearts of palm, avocado, tomato and torn fresh basil leaves), for serving, optional
Combine the tuna, celery, red onion, capers, mayonnaise, Dijon, anchovy paste, lemon juice, pepper, salt, and oregano in a medium bowl and stir until thoroughly combined.
Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
Dress two pieces of the bread with half of the tuna mixture, half of the sliced tomatoes, if using, and half of the cheese. Cover with two additional slices of bread.
Add half of the butter and half of the olive oil to a hot pan. When hot, add 2 sandwiches and cook until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes each side. Repeat with the remaining bread and tuna mixture. Serve hot, with a side salad of hearts of palm, avocado, tomato, and torn fresh basil leaves, if desired.