Peppered Tuna with Nicoise Salad
Wine match: Rosemount Blends Chardonnay Semillon
- 8 cherry tomatoes on the vine, stems attached
- 20 tbsps (300ml) olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 garlic clove
- A sprig of fresh rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 quail eggs
- 4 new potatoes
- 100g French beans, topped but leaving the tail
- 3 tbsps vinaigrette (see My Nicoise salad recipe)
- 200g fresh tuna
- 50g cracked black pepper
- 8 anchovy fillets
- A handful mixed leaves
- For the black olive dressing
- 100g pitted black olives
- 10g capers
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 3 1/2 tbsps olive oil
2) Place the tomatoes, with the stem still attached, in a pan and cover with the olive oil. Add the garlic and rosemary. Season and slowly bring to barely a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, then leave to cool.
3) To cook the quail eggs, boil a pan of water, carefully place the eggs in the water and cook for 2 1/2 minutes before removing them and plunging into iced water. Peel and set aside.
4) Place the potatoes in a pan, cover with water, season with salt and bring to the boil. Gently simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until cooked. Refresh under cold water. When cold, slice into 1cm-thick pieces and place in a bowl.
5) Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the French beans for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove and plunge into iced water. Drain, add to the potatoes and dress with 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette.
6) Season the tuna with salt, roll in the cracked pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Place on a hot griddle for 30 seconds, then flip over and cook for another 30 seconds. Slice into 2cm-thick pieces.
To serve, draw a large circle on the plate with the dressing. Place two pieces of tuna on opposite sides, followed by two of each ingredient. Finish the circle by rolling the anchovies and topping each one with half a quail egg. Dress the mixed leaves with the black olive dressing and place on top.