White Chocolate Mousses with Strawberry and Black Pepper Sauce
- For the white chocolate mousse
- 200g (7oz) white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 lime, grated rind only
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons white rum
- 150ml (1/4 pint) double cream
- For the strawberry and black pepper sauce
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 75ml (21/2 fl oz) water
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, roughly crushed
- 225g (8oz) strawberries, hulled, sliced
- ½ lime, juice only
- Few more small strawberries to decorate
To make the mousse, melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of very gently simmering water, making sure that the base of the bowl isn’t touching the water.
Take the bowl of chocolate off the saucepan and stir in the lime rind, egg yolks and rum until smooth. Lightly whip the cream until it forms soft swirls then fold into the chocolate mix and spoon into 4 small glasses. Chill in the fridge for 3-4 hours until set.
Meanwhile make the sauce, add the sugar, water and pepper to a medium saucepan and heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved then simmer for 3 minutes. Add the strawberries and lime juice and cook for 2 minutes then leave to cool.
Puree the sauce in a liquidiser or using a stick blender until smooth. Pour into a small jug and pour over the tops of the mousses just before serving. Serve on small plates with extra halved strawberries, if liked.
Recipe courtesy of Seasonal Berries