Baked falafel sandwiches
- For the falafel
- 1 (425 g) tin chickpeas, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed
- 25g finely-chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 25g coriander leaves
- 25g parsley leaves
- 30ml olive oil
- For the tahini sauce
- 125ml pure tahini paste (sesame paste) (available at Middle Eastern stores)
- 45ml lemon juice
- 45ml-60 ml water, plus more if necessary
- For the salad
- 100g chopped cos lettuce
- 2 (115g) tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 125g in total)
- 1/2 medium cucumber, seeded, peeled and chopped (about 125g)
- 4 wholemeal pitta pocket breads, sliced open
Preheat oven to 220°C/ gas mark 7. Combine all falafel ingredients except one tablespoon olive oil in the bowl of a food processor. Process for ten seconds. Stop motor and scrape down sides of bowl, then pulse for another ten seconds, until all ingredients are well incorporated but mixture is still slightly coarse and grainy.
Form mixture into 16 falafel balls and brush with remaining tablespoon olive oil. Bake on a baking tray for 20 minutes. Flip falafel balls and bake for an additional 20 minutes, until crisp and browned.
For the tahini sauce:
Combine tahini, lemon juice and water and stir to incorporate, adding more water to achieve desired consistency. Reserve.
Toss together lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers in a bowl. Warm pitta breads for two minutes in oven. Fill each pitta with 125g salad, 4 falafel balls and 65ml tahini sauce.