Charred Corn Panzanella
Grilling the sweetcorn adds a smoky flavour to this Tuscan salad.
- 4 ounces whole-grain country-style boule without crusts, cut into 1-inch dice (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped and juices reserved
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 chilli, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Spread the bread out on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
Put the vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, the tomatoes and their juices and the garlic in a large bowl and toss together. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the corn and spread in a single layer. Cook until blackened in spots, about 3 minutes. Add the chiles and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the tomatoes.
Add the bread to the bowl and gently stir together; season with salt. Stir in the coriander and serve.