Tamarind-Glazed Tofu Sliders with Indian Coleslaw and Masala Wedges
- 6 slider buns
- Mixed green salad
- For the tofu
- 600g firm tofu, pressed and cut into steaks the same size as your slider buns
- 1 tbsp concentrated tamarind paste (I use shop-bought – life’s too short!)
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 75ml water
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- ½ tsp ground fennel seeds
- For the Indian coleslaw
- 2 large carrots, grated
- ¼ small cucumber, seeds removed and grated
- 1 large red onion, diced finely
- 2 tomatoes, seeds removed and diced finely
- 3 spring onions, sliced finely
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- ½ tsp toasted cumin, ground
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- For the masala wedges
- 4 large potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp salt
1. First, cut the potatoes into small wedges and toss with oil, garam masala and salt. Bake at 200C for 40 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
2. Next, make the slaw by combining together all the ingredients and mixing well. Allow to chill in the fridge until you’re ready to serve the sliders.
3. Now, make the tamarind glaze by mixing together the tamarind paste, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and water. Bring to the boil and allow to reduce by half. Add the ground fennel and set aside.
4. Grill the tofu on both sides until a crisp skin forms on the outside. This will take about 10 minutes each side in a domestic oven – less on a barbecue. Remove from the oven and brush the glaze all over the tofu steaks. Return to the grill until just bubbling.
5. Slice the buns in half and toast. Build the sliders with the glazed tofu, chilled slaw and your favourite hot sauce. Serve with the masala wedges and a cold beer.