2) Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for about 30 mins. Strain and set aside.
For the caramelized onions:
1) Thinly slice the red onions. Melt the butter in a skillet and add the garlic, onions and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally until wilted. Add 240ml of the chipotle bbq sauce and simmer for 30 mins.
For the burgers:
1) Cut the root ends off the spring onions. Brush with olive oil and place on the griddle. Cook both sides until griddle marks appear. Remove from the griddle to a cutting board. Chop and set aside.
2) Place the beef mince in a bowl and add the chopped spring onions, about 1 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp ground pepper. Mix together and form into patties about 1cm thick.
3) Wrap 1 slice applewood streaky bacon around each burger and place on the griddle, cooking about 5 to 6 mins on each side for medium-well. Top the burgers with cheese the last minute of cooking. Place on platter, cover with foil and set aside.
For the onion rings:
1) Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 180C. Cut the onions into 0.5cm thick slices and place in a large bowl. Put the plain flour, cornmeal and 2 tbsp of salt in another bowl. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl, add to the onions and stir to evenly coat. In batches, place the onions in flour mixture and toss until well coated.
2) Fry in oil until golden brown and set aside on paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt.
For assembling the burger:
1) Toast the kaiser rolls. Place some of the caramelized onions on the bottom bun. Add the burger and top with fried onion rings.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore we cannot make representation as to the results.