- 18 ounces French vanilla cake mix
- 0.33 vegetable oil
- 3 egg
- 1.25 water
- 1 granulated sugar
- 5.50 tablespoons honey
- 0.75 slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 0.25 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 0.25 teaspoon vanilla
- 0.25 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla-flavored syrup
- 8 Pastry Pride
- 1 almonds
- 1 white sugar
How to make A Better Burnt Almond Cake
- Prepare the French Vanilla cake mix according to package directions for 2 eight, or 2 nine inch, round cake pans. Remove from pans, allow cakes to cool completely.
- While cakes are cooling, spread 1 cup of sliced almonds on a dry baking sheet. Please in the oven at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes. These almonds will burn in an instant. Check almonds progress after 5 minutes and then each minute there after. You are loo
- DO NOT LEAVE THE STOVE ONCE YOU START THIS PROCESS. To make the brittle: Combine sugar, honey and water in a heavy bottom pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Using a heat resistant rubber spatula, stir gently to dissolve the sugar. Continue to boil ove
- Remove the pot from the heat and quickly stir in the butter, toasted almonds, and baking soda with the rubber spatula until butter has melted and baking soda is well combined.
- CAUTION! This liquid brittle is over 300 degrees at this point. Pour the liquid brittle on to a baking sheet that has been sprayed with a coating of nonstick butter flavored spray. Allow brittle to completely cool on a countertop until rock hard.
- Once hardened, break up the brittle in small pieces and place into a food processor. Process in small batches until the brittle has become a fine crumb consistency. *If you do not have a processor, use a blender or place in a freezer bag and beat to death
- Simple Syrup: In a small pot add 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes stirring to make sure all the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add 1/2 tsp almond extract,1 tbsp Torani vanilla syrup. Set aside to cool.
- Using a long serrated knife, slice each of the two cakes in half, horizontally. With a pastry brush, brush all layers on their cut side with the simple syrup. Place 1 cup of frosting between each layer, followed by a ¼ cup of the brittle crumbs on
- Press the toasted almond slices onto the sides, all the way around the perimeter of the cake. Top off the cake with a layer of the remaining brittle crumbs. Refrigerate cake for at least 2 hours before serving. Overnight is optimal.
- Refrigerate leftovers (if there are any). The cake will improve in flavor over the next day or 2 as everything soaks in and melds.
(Courtesy of Food.com)
- Warm Gluten-free Maple Almond Chiff...
- Hopped-up on caffeine rich chocolat...
- Ginger pear cake
- Griddled cake sundaes with raspberr...
- Angel Food Cake
- Chocolate fudge cake with rich cher...
- Red velvet cake
- Chocolate cake with a warm creamy c...
- Lemon pecan cake
- Gingerbread cake with brandy sauce....
- Triple hazelnut cake with chocolate...
- Honey, I'm peanuts about you! cake