- 4 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 0.50 fresh mushrooms
- 0.50 red bell peppers
- 0.25 green onions
- 0.50 cheddar cheese
- 4 whole wheat bread
- 4 teaspoons
- 4 egg
- 1 to taste salt
- 1 to taste ground black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
How to make A Hole-In-One Breakfast a La Midwest Living
- In a 12" nonstick skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms, sweet peppers, green onions & pinch or two, of crushed red peppers, until meat is brown and vegetables are tender, stirring to break up sausage as it cooks.
- Remove sausage mixture from skillet; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine sausage mixture and cheese & set aside.
- Carefully wipe skillet clean with paper towels; set aside.
- With a 2" round cookie cutter or a small juice glass, cut out the center of each slice of bread.(Use bread centers in another recipe for breadcrumbs).
- Spread both sides of the bread slices with the butter or margarine.
- In same 12" skillet, toast bread on one side over medium heat about 2 minutes,or until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; turn the bread slices over.
- Break one of the eggs into a 1-cup glass measuring cup with a handle.
- Holding lip of cup as close to the bread as possible, carefully slide the egg into the hole.
- Repeat this step with the remaining 3 eggs and bread slices.
- Spoon sausage mixture over bread slices; avoiding the egg as much as possible.
- Cooke, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until eggs are firm.
- Using a wide spatula, carefully lift out bread-&-egg slices and transfer to 4 dinner plates.
- Sprinkle eggs with salt, pepper & crushed red pepper, if using, to taste.
(Courtesy of Food.com)
- The turducken: boneless turkey stuf...
- One day in paradise cocktail: Valen...
- Breakfast San Diego style
- Orange sugar fried doughnut holes
- Individual Toad In the Hole
- Broccoli, Mushroom, and Cheese Brea...
- Toad in the Hole with Gorgonzola an...
- One big pretzel
- Egg nog
- Fried egg and avocado sandwich