2) Slowly add water until a dough ball forms. Knead for a few minutes, and then roll out to golf ball-sized spheres (10 to 12). Place the balls on a sheet pan and place in a warm area to proof for about 10 minutes.
For the pie filling:
1) Boil the potatoes until soft, drain, and then place in large bowl. Add the coriander, pepper and cumin salt and then mash and mix well.
2) Take one dough ball and roll out to about a 13cm to 15-cm circle. Place between 1 and 1 1/2 tbsp of the pie filling in the middle of the circle. Fold the dough over and pinch the edges to seal them.
3) Take a 1L to 1.5L pan, fill it a little more than half full with vegetable oil and place on a medium high heat. When hot enough, but not smoking, carefully place one pie in the oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
4) Serve the hot pies with a side portion of tamarind or mango chutney.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore we cannot make any representation as to the results.