Made this? How was it?
For the batter:
- 70g plain flour
- 90g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 240ml whole milk
For the apples:
- 1/4 vanilla pod, split lengthwise
- Pinch salt
- 30g unsalted
- 1 large Granny Smith apple peeled and
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 tsp grappa, Calvados, or other fruit brandy
- sugar for dusting
- 85g creme fraiche
How to make Apple clafouti
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6.
2) Make the batter: sift the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt into a bowl. In a separate bowl, the eggs, egg yolk, and milk until well blended. Add about 1/3 of the egg mixture to the flour mixture and until smooth, then gradually incorporate the remaining egg mixture. until well blended. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate while you prepare the apples.
3) Cook the apples: with the tip of a knife, scrape the vanilla pod seeds from the pod into an ovenproof 25cm oven proof dish. Add the pod and the and cook over moderately high heat until the turns nut brown. Add a pinch of salt. Add the apples and cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, about 2 mins. Remove the vanilla pod and discard. Sprinkle the apples with the sugar, reduce the heat to moderately low, and cook until the apples are almost cooked through and the sugar has melted and is coating the apples in a light syrup. Add the grappa or other brandy off the fire while pouring, place back on the fire, wait for flame to die down, then swirl the pan briefly. Spread the fruit evenly in the dish.
4) Working quickly, pour batter evenly over the fruit. Bake until the edges of the clafouti are puffed and browned and the center is set, about 15 mins.
5) Put some sugar in a sieve and generously dust the surface of the clafouti. Serve warm directly from the dish with a dollop of creme fraiche.
Michael's Notes: If you plan to serve individual clafoutis from mini dishes, heat the dishes in the oven until quite hot, about 5 mins, then divide the cooked fruit among the dishes, top with the batter, and bake. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the dishes.
*Cook's Note: To make a cherry clafouti, use 180g pitted cherries. Substitute 3g lemon zest for the cinnamon and Grand Marnier for the grappa.
- Molten flourless chocolate cupcakes...
- Pork Chops with Toasted Spice Rub a...
- Paella Italiana
- Lunchbag swordfish with Mediterrane...
- Apples in honey with grapes and a t...
- Marinated pazzo berries with balsam...
- Roasted banana boats
- Strawberry tiramisu cones
- Apple cake
- Peach and berry cobbler
- Blueberry clafoutis
- Pear clafouti