Made this? How was it?
- 90g unsalted , plus more for the pan
- 450g country white sandwich bread
- 1 large cooking apple
- 1 medium onion
- 2 ribs celery with leaves
- Handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 25g dried cranberries
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 50g dried apricots
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch fennel seeds, optional
- 750ml chicken stock (about 1 1/2 small tins)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp turkey or chicken pan drippings or melted
How to make Apple-cranberry dressing
1) Preheat oven to 160C/Gas 3.
2) Cut or tear bread into bite-size pieces. Lay bread pieces in a single layer on 1 or 2 baking sheets. Bake until slightly dry and crisp, about 15 to 20 mins. Cool.
3) Peel, core, and coarsely the apple. Coarsely the onion, celery, and apricots. the parsley.
4) Melt the 90g in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apple, onion, celery, apricots, cranberries, thyme, salt, and fennel seeds; cook until soft, about 5 mins. Add the broth and parsley and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
5) Beat the egg in a large bowl. Add the toasted bread and the onion and fruit mixture; toss until evenly moistened. Loosely pack the dressing into the prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, until the top is crusty, about 40 mins. Drizzle the pan drippings or melted over the top. Cook until the top is crisp and golden, about 20 mins more.
Tips: Put the dressing in the oven during the last hour of cooking the turkey.
Upgrades or Make it your Own: Cook pork sausage until brown and crispy in the skillet. Remove to a plate and cook vegetables and fruit in the residual fat. Stir sausage into stuffing just before baking.
- Baby spinach salad with roasted red...
- Cathy Ballou's grandmother's oyster...
- 30-minute turkey chilli
- Turkey pan gravy
- Spiced cider
- Apple harvest oatmeal
- Hot spiced cider tea
- Cider mop
- Savoury mushroom dressing
- Chicken, celery, and radish salad
- Slimmed down - open-faced curried c...
- Chicken and fennel