1) Preheat oven to 160C/Gas 3. Butter a shallow 3L casserole dish.
2) Cut or tear bread into bite-size pieces. Lay bread pieces in a single layer on 1 or 2 baking sheets. Bake until slightly dry and crisp, about 15 to 20 mins. Cool.
3) Peel, core, and coarsely chop the apple. Coarsely chop the onion, celery, and apricots. Chop the parsley.
4) Melt the 90g butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apple, onion, celery, apricots, cranberries, thyme, salt, and fennel seeds; cook until soft, about 5 mins. Add the broth and parsley and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
5) Beat the egg in a large bowl. Add the toasted bread and the onion and fruit mixture; toss until evenly moistened. Loosely pack the dressing into the prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, until the top is crusty, about 40 mins. Drizzle the pan drippings or melted butter over the top. Cook until the top is crisp and golden, about 20 mins more.
Tips: Put the dressing in the oven during the last hour of cooking the turkey.
Upgrades or Make it your Own: Cook pork sausage until brown and crispy in the skillet. Remove to a plate and cook vegetables and fruit in the residual fat. Stir sausage into stuffing just before baking.