- 4 lbs leg of lamb
- 12 garlic clove
- 6 ounces cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 lbs baking potato
- 3 medium carrot
- 1 to taste sea salt
- 1 to taste fresh ground black pepper
- 5 sheets paper
- 1 to taste water
How to make Arnaki Kleftiko (Bandit's Lamb)
- Preheat the oven to 480°F
- Rub the lamb with a little olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- With a sharp knife, pierce the lamb and insert a clove of garlic and a piece of cheese into each opening. Do this until the cloves are all inserted into the lamb.
- Drizzle the potatoes and carrots with any remaining oil, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- On a clean work surface, spread out the parchment sheets and lay the lamb in the center, with the potatoes and carrots. If there is any remaining cheese, add as well.
- Close the parchment paper and secure well, tucking the sides underneath to make a packet.
- Fill a roasting pan 1/3 full of water, add the packet and cook for 2 hours 30 minutes, adding more water to the pan as needed to keep from getting dry.
- When done, lift the entire packet onto a serving platter, and cut open at the table to serve.
- Alternate preparation: Cut meat into serving size portions and wrap each portion, together with portion-size serving of potatoes and carrots, individually. Set side by side in roasting pan to cook, and serve one packet to each plate.
(Courtesy of Food.com)