Aubergine Stew with Honey and Golden Sultana Polenta
Add depth of flavour to an array of slow-cooked meals with Knorr Stock Pots. Available in a range of flavours, from Chicken to Beef and Vegetable to Herb Infusion, these stock pots are quick and easy to use, melting in minutes.
Find Out More
60mL extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 red onion, chopped, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
3 to 4 celery stalks, cut into bite sized pieces
2 cubanelle peppers, chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped into bite sized pieces
2 aubergine, peeled of half the skin, cut into bite-sized cubes
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
30mL aged balsamic vinegar
1 (784g) can whole tomatoes (recommended: San Marzano)
Handful golden sultanas
2 sprigs rosemary, leaves stripped and finely chopped
1) Place dried mushrooms and 475mL chicken stock in a small pot over medium-low heat.
2) Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a Dutch oven or high sided skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add garlic, crushed pepper, onions, carrots, celery, peppers, and aubergine to the pot as you chop them. Add the bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and cover the pot to sweat the vegetables out a little faster. Stir occasionally for 10 to 12 minutes then uncover and add the balsamic vinegar.
3) Remove the reconstituted dried mushrooms to the pot with a slotted spoon. Pour in all but the last few tablespoons of mushroom stock. The last of the stock can hold a little loose grit from the dried mushrooms. Add tomatoes and break up with a wooden spoon. Simmer over low heat the last few minutes before serving. Adjust salt and pepper.
4) Heat the remaining 475mL stock with 240mL milk, golden sultanas and rosemary over medium high heat. Whisk in polenta and stir 3 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in honey, butter and cheese.
5) Pile some polenta in shallow bowls and spoon the stew around the polenta.