- 2.50 lbs salt cod fish
- 2.50 lbs cod steaks
- 1 all-purpose flour
- 1 water
- 1 olive oil
- 1.50 lbs potato
- 12 garlic clove
- 1 extra virgin olive oil
- 0.33 wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 0.50 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
How to make Bakaliaros Me Skorthalia (Fried Cod Steaks With Garlic Puree)
- If using dry salt cod: Soak in water for 12 hours or overnight (in the refrigerator if the weather is warm), changing the water 4-6 times. Scrape off scales and remove visible bones, if any. If using frozen desalinated cod: Defrost and scrape off scales,
- Make the Skorthalia ahead of time. Peel the potatoes and boil in salted water until well done (easily pierced with a fork). Sprinkle with pepper and mash.
- In the blender bowl of the food processor (or with a hand mixer), purée the potatoes and garlic until well mixed, about 30-45 seconds.
- Still puréeing, slowly add the olive oil and vinegar, alternating between them until the mixture is smooth. Skorthalia should be creamy and thick.
- If it gets too thick, add a little cold water (not more than 1/4 cup).
- When ready to cook, cut the fish into 1 1/2 to 2 inch slices.
- In a bowl, add the flour slowly to the water, stirring briskly with a wire whisk or fork until the flour has dissolved. The batter will be fairly thin.
- Dip the fish into the batter and fry in hot oil, about 6-10 minutes per side (depending on the thickness) until dark golden.
- Serve with one fourth of skorthalia garlic puree mixture per person.
(Courtesy of Food.com)
- Beer battered fish and chips
- Parker's fish and chips
- Steak with bearnaise
- Artichoke puree with crispy prawns....
- Tomato steak with baked goats' chee...
- Curried cod with geel rys
- Pan-fried cod with pea guacamole
- Tex wasabi's koi fish tacos
- Granadian Cod and Orange Salad with...
- Pan-seared cod with cabbage
- North Atlantic pan seared cod with....
- Lager Battered Fish and Chips with....