Recipe by Andy Bates
For the sweet pastry:
- 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- Pinch of salt
- 150g butter
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 1 free-range egg
For the filling:
- 400g wild blueberry jam
- 5 eggs beaten
- 150g caster sugar
- 175g soft butter
- 140g ground almonds
- 75g plain flour
- 3 to 4 drops of almond eseence
- Caster sugar & toasted almond flakes for dusting
How to make Bakewell tart
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 3.
2) For the pastry, mix together the flour and sugar, then rub together the flour, sugar, salt and butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Then beat together the egg yolk and whole egg and slowly add these, mixing until the pastry forms a ball.
3) Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to 2mm thickness. Use to line a 28cm/4cm tart ring placed on a baking sheet. When rolled and lined, rest the lined tart ring in the fridge for 20 mins.
3) For the filling, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs in 3 lots adding the ground almonds between each egg, then sift in the flour and gently fold with the almond essence.
3) Spoon the jam into the base and gently spread.
4) Fill the pastry case with the sponge filling, taking care not to let the jam come up through the filling. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the sponge is firm.
5) Sprinkle with sugar & toasted almonds before serving.
- Bakewell Tart
- Custard Tart
- Rhubarb and Custard Tart
- Peach and Cardamom Bakewell Tarts
- Bedfordshire clanger
- Chicken and Ham Hock Pie
- Lancashire Tart with Black Pudding,...
- Coronation Chicken Sandwich
- Rare Roast Beef and Yorkshire Puddi...
- Black Pudding and Pear Pies
- Individual Toad In the Hole
- Steak and Yorkie Wrap