- 5.50 white flour
- 2.50 dark rye flour
- 3.25 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 22 ounces water
How to make Bauern Brot (Bavarian Bread)
- Mix White flour, Dark Rye into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix dry yeast with 2 teaspoons sugar in separate bowl.
- Add in ½ cups lukewarm water and mix until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add yeast mixture to flour mixture in a small indentation in the center of the flour and let sit for 15 minutes covered.
- Add in 3 ¼ tsp salt before kneading.
- Begin kneading the complete mixture and add in the rest of the lukewarm water (20 fluid ounces) until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl sides. (Add a small bit of flour if too sticky).
- Important: Knead for a minimum of 15 minutes, until the dough is smooth and sleek.
- Cover and place in a warm spot for about 30 minutes and let rise.
- Knead one more time, form into a loaf or ball shape, cover with a damp cloth and place in a pre-heated oven for 40 minutes at 50° C (120 F).
- Place Bauernbrot on a baking sheet lightly greased, and brush loaf with water.
- Pre-heat oven to 250° C (480 F).
- Place bread on the second from bottom rack.
- Put a pan of water in the oven to allow steam to form. (Careful of the steam!).
- Important: Immediately close the door.
- After 10 minutes drop the temperature to 190° C (375) and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven.
- When you tap on the bottom of the Bauernbrot it should sound hollow.
- The Bauernbrot is done.
- Rub flour onto finished Bauernbrot and let cool.
(Courtesy of Food.com)
- Herb spread
- Smoked salmon spread
- Braised red cabbage
- Brussels sprouts with bacon and che...
- German potato salad
- German-style oven chips
- Honey Dijon potato salad
- One special spaetzle
- Roasted carrots and cippolini onion...
- Sauteed Brussels sprouts and red ca...
- German style oven chips
- Best mustard ever