1) Mix together the paprika, salt and pepper, sugar, and cayenne. Rub the spice mixture all over the brisket and refrigerate for 2 hrs or overnight.
2) Preheat oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
3) Place the brisket in a large casserole or Dutch oven and pour the sauce over the top, hocks and all. Cover and cook until brisket is fork tender and can easily be shredded, about 3 hrs. Transfer the brisket to a platter. Skim and discard the fat from the top of the sauce. Shred or thinly slice the brisket. Serve.
For the Quick BBQ Sauce:
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
12 cloves garlic (about 1 head), peeled and finely chopped
30g tomato puree
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 ham hocks
Two 800g tins crushed tomatoes
415ml red wine vinegar
260g soft light brown sugar
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1) Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomato puree, and crushed pepper and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
2) Add the ham hocks, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until deep red in colour and has thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. Adjust seasoning salt with pepper. Sauce will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.