1. Preheat the oven to 160°C. To a pan, add coconut milk, all of the beef, lemongrass, bird's eye chilli, beef stock and soy sauce.
2. Bring to a simmer over the hob then put into the oven for at least two hours until the meat is tender.
3. In the meantime, pound together the Thai shallots, garlic, ginger, the two roughly chopped chillies and 3 tbsp toasted coconut into a fine paste and set aside.
4. Once the meat is tender add the fish sauce. Cook for a couple of minutes and then transfer the meat mixture into a mixing bowl. Add oil to a casserole dish.
5. Bring the oil to the heat over a medium heat and add the shallot paste prepared earlier.
6. Continue to stir-fry until the paste turns to a golden brown and the oil comes to the surface.
7. Gently pour the beef mixture back into the pan. Simmer for a few minutes and garnish with the remaining tbsp of toasted coconut, julienned red chillies and fried shallots.