2) In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, beer, flour, cornmeal, salt, cayenne pepper and black pepper. In large deep sided pot, heat the oil to 180C.
3) Meanwhile, in a large clean bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter mixture. Dip the asparagus spears, one at a time into the batter, then carefully lay in the oil.
4) Do not overcrowd the pan, fry in batches, if necessary. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, turning the spears with tongs to ensure even cooking. Drain on a kitchen paper-lined plate. Sprinkle with sea salt, to taste. Serve immediately with the garlic aioli.
For the garlic aioli:
1) In a food processor, combine all the ingredients well and season to taste with salt.
2) Refrigerate for one hour before serving.