1) Season the flour with salt and pepper. Whisk in the beer followed by the water to make a batter.
2) Coat the aubergine slices with the batter and cook in a deep fat fryer or pan of hot oil until golden.
3) Remove from the hot oil and drain the excess oil from the fried aubergine using kitchen roll.
4) Pile up the pieces of aubergine on the plate and place the pieces of mozzarella around so that it melts from the surrounding heat.
5) Reduce the vinegar by half. Add the basil and the olive oil.For the pesto:
1) Mix the ingredients together and spoon over the aubergine.
2) Drizzle a dessertspoon of the dressing over the aubergine and serve.