1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees, gas mark 4.
2) Lightly grease 4 individual baking dishes with butter (oven proof ramekins or cocotte dishes work well). Peel beets and cut into pieces so they can fit comfortably in a food processor. Process with blade attachment until finely chopped.
3) In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. In a separate bowl, mix molasses, applesauce, eggs, buttermilk, and sugar together. Now mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients, add a pinch of salt, and then fold in the processed beets.
4) Set ramekins out on a sheet tray. Divide batter amongst ramekins and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until they have puffed up and a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
5) Serve with Sweet Greek yoghurt and top with Beet garnish and powdered sugar.
For the Sweet Greek yoghurt:
Combine yoghurt and honey in a mixing bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon so they are just combined. Serve with warm beet cake.
For the Beet garnish:
1) Preheat oven to 140C/Gas 1.
2) Shave the beet into thin slices using a mandoline or sharp knife. Line a roasting dish with parchment and set the beets out in a single layer on the tray. Top with powdered sugar. Cover with another sheet of parchment, carefully pressing out any air bubbles. Top with another tray to add weight and bake on a low temperature to dehydrate the beet slices without over-cooking them.
3) Bake for 2 to 3 hours, until dry and crispy. Use as a garnish on top of the beet cakes.