1. Slice the spring onions, gherkins, beetroot, potato and onions, and reserve.
2. Heat the oil or butter in a large saucepan, add the beef and season well. Brown the beef all over. Add the vegetables and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about an hour.
3. Cool for a few minutes, then puree in the pan with a hand-held blender until quite smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
4. Chop the dill and divide the soup between four bowls.
5. Top with a spoonful of sour cream and the dill. Serve with rye bread.
Recipe courtesy of Kenwood's Around the World in 80 Plates