1. Place the short rib and steak tip cubes on a baking sheet in a single layer, leaving a 1/2-inch space around each chunk. Freeze the meat until very firm and starting to harden around the edges, but still pliable, 15 to 25 minutes.
2. Place half of the meat in a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground, ten to fifteen 1-second pulses, stopping and redistributing the meat around the bowl as necessary to ensure it is evenly ground. Transfer the meat to a baking sheet, overturning the bowl and without directly touching the meat. Repeat the grinding process with the remaining meat cubes. Spread the meat over the baking sheet and inspect carefully, discarding any long strands of gristle or large chunks of hard meat or fat. Evenly divide the meat into 12 balls and season aggressively with salt and pepper.
3. Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Working in batches, cook the patties. As soon as you put the balls in the skillet, press each one down once with a strong metal spatula into a 1/2-inch patty or until just larger than your bun (size up your bun-to-meat ratios people!). Do not smoosh them again. Cook until the patties are crusty brown on the bottom, 4 to 5 minutes, then flip once and finish the other side while a piece of cheese melts on top, 4 to 5 minutes more. Stack into 3 patties and set aside to rest. Repeat with the remaining patties.
4. On a nonstick flat-bottomed pan (preferably square), butter and toast the buns until golden brown, keeping an eye on them so they don't burn, about 5 minutes.
5. Build each burger on a bun with 3 patties, Crispy Pickled Cherry Peppers and a schmear of the 18,000 Island Dressing. Serve!
To make the Crispy Pickled Cherry Peppers:
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot to 175°C. Combine the rice flour and seasoned salt in a shallow dish. Dredge the wet cherry peppers in the flour mixture and fry in the oil until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
To make the 18,000 Island Dressing:
1. Mix the mayonnaise, jalapenos, ketchup, mustard and garlic together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.