1) For the biscuits: preheat the oven to 220C/Gas 8.
2) In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Cut in the fat with a fork until it resembles crumbs. Add the milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly until well mixed.
3) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly two or three times. Roll out the dough with a floured rolling pin to 1cm thickness. Cut with a 5cm cutter.
4) Place the biscuits in a greased iron frying pan. Gently press down top of biscuits. Brush the biscuits with half the melted butter.
5) Bake for 14 mins or until golden brown.
6) Brush the hot biscuits with the remaining butter. Split the biscuits in half and ladle milk gravy over the hot biscuits and serve.
1) For the milk gravy: heat bacon grease in a cast iron frying pan. Add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly about 1 min. Add the warm milk slowly and bring to a boil.
2) Reduce the heat to a low simmer and stir, until thickened, about 5 mins, adding milk as necessary to control the thickness. Season the gravy with salt and pepper. Serve hot over biscuits.