Made this? How was it?
For the shortcrust:
- 110g plain flour
- 40g self-raising flour
- 15g sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 120g chilled unsalted , cut into 1-cm pieces
- 120g chilled vegetable shortening, cut into 1-cm pieces
- 50ml iced water
For the blackberry filling:
- 30g plain flour
- 90g sugar
- 360g fresh blackberries
- Few drops of almond extract
- For serving:
- Egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Turbinado or sparkling sugar for dusting
- Nonstick spray
How to make Blackberry Hand Pies
For the pie crust:
1) In a food processor,together flours, sugar, and salt. Add chilled and shortening and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle water over flour mixture and pulse until dough forms moist clumps.
2) Gather dough together and divide into 2 equal rounds. Flatten dough into disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 45 minutes.
For the blackberry filling: Combine flour, sugar, blackberries and almond extract and stir gently until the berries are evenly coated.
To make the pie:
1) Working with 1 round at a time, roll dough on a lightly floured surface to 0.5-cm thickness. Cut circles, approximately 10-cm in diameter using a plate or bowl as a guide. You should have a total of 8 circles.
2) Spoon about 3-4 dessert spoons of blackberry filling into the centre of each circle. Carefully fold circle over to form a half moon shape. Using a fork, dipped lightly in flour, press tines along the open edge to seal.
3) Transfer hand pies to a parchment paper lined sheet tin and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until needed.
1) Preheat gas or charcoal barbecue to medium indirect heat.
2) Brush hand pies lightly with egg yolk and sprinkle generously with sugar. Transfer hand pies to double-lined, heavy-duty foil sprayed with non-stick spray and place on barbecue.
3) Close lid and "bake," rotating after 20 minutes, until crust is golden brown, about 40 to 50 minutes total.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
- Peach-blackberry pie
- Smoked chicken pot pie with sweet p...
- Mixed berries with ginger syrup and...
- Grilled sweet potato wedges
- Barbecued corn and tomato-sweet oni...
- Garlic and herb grilled sweet potat...
- Garlic rosemary sweet potato wedges...
- Griddled corn and tomato-sweet onio...
- Grilled sweet potato and spring oni...
- Bar Americain sweet potato chowder
- Sweet cherry tea
- Red chilli rubbed sweet potatoes wi...