1) Take the skin off the aubergines then chop into small sticks. Remove the skin from the shallots and chop into small pieces. Do the same for the garlic.
2) In a large pan over medium-high heat, add about 30ml of olive oil. Once hot, add the shallots and cook until translucent. Next add most of the garlic, reserving the rest for later.
3) Then add the aubergine, occasionally stirring with a wooden spoon. From time to time, add a small amount of water.
4) After about 20 minutes, de-glaze the pan with balsamic vinegar and let cook for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat, add more olive oil, to taste, garlic, salt and pepper and let cool before serving.
5) Garnish with the tomato and serve,