Serves: 1 medium loaf, about 6 to 8 servings
Place a rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 150C/Gas Mark 2.
1) In a large bowl, whisk together the rye flour, polenta, wholemeal flour, white bread flour, baking powder, salt, and bicarbonate of soda.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the treacle, buttermilk, and egg.
3) Pour the treacle mixture into the flour mixture and mix until a thick batter is just formed. Transfer the batter to the prepared coffee tin. Cover tightly with the foil, buttered-side down.
4) Place the coffee tin in a pot that is twice the height of the tin. Pour enough hot water in the pot to reach halfway up the sides of the tin. Bring the water to a boil on top of the stove, before transferring to the oven. Bake the bread, in the water bath, until spongy and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 3 hours.
5) Remove can from the water bath and set aside to cool completely. Remove the loaf from the can. Slice into rounds and serve.
Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved