1) Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes, sun-dried tomatoes, and roasted capsicums and cook until the garlic is aromatic, about 1 minute.
2) Crush the tomatoes through your fingers into the pot; stir in their juices, sugar, the 1 teaspoon salt, and season with pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat, stir in the herbs, cover, and set aside for about 10 minutes for the flavours to come together.
3) Meanwhile, bring a large pot of cold water to a boil over high heat. Salt the water generously, add the pasta, and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain, saving about 120ml of the pasta water.
4) Before serving, add the vinegar to the sauce. Add the drained pasta to the tomato sauce and toss. Thin with a little pasta water, if needed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5) Divide among 4 warm serving bowls. Pass the grated cheese, if desired, at the table.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.