For the ribs:
1) Season the ribs generously with salt and pepper. Heat the vegetable oil in a large heavy pot with a lid (casserole dish) over high heat. Brown the ribs on all sides, in batches if necessary. Remove the ribs and pour off all but a couple tbsps of the rendered fat.
2) Return the pot to the stove, lower the heat to medium and saute the garlic and ginger for about 3 minutes. Add the ribs back to the pot. Add the beer and the vinegar. Stir and then cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
3) Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C.
4) Pour the hoisin sauce over the ribs, move the pot to the oven, and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
5) Remove ribs and ginger from sauce. Strain fat from the top of the pot so that you're left with just the good stuff.
6) Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and sesame mangetout.
For the mashed potatoes:
1) Boil potatoes until fork tender. Heat the butter and half-and-half over medium heat until hot, but not boiling. Drain the potatoes, return them to the pot and mash with a hand masher. Add hot liquid to potatoes and whip with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
2) Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add chives and mix before serving.
For the sesame mangetout:
1) Rinse the mangetout and trim off the ends. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the oils and heat. Add mangetout and saute until bright green, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
2) Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and toss.