2) Whisk together, with an electric mixer, the butter and sugar. Add the egg, molasses, butter essence, sweet potato, and orange zest.
3) Carefully fold dry ingredients into butter-sugar mixture with a rubber spatula. Stir in the pecans, if using.
4) Drop spoonfuls of dough onto baking paper-lined biscuit tray. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5) Decorate with cream cheese icing and serve.
For the cream cheese icing:
1) In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, blend cream cheese, sugar, and butter on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the maple or vanilla essence, and mix on high speed until incorporated.
2) Pipe the cream cheese icing on biscuits in any desired pattern with a piping bag. You can also warm the icing in a microwave for a few seconds until smooth and drizzle onto the biscuits.