1) Warm the olive oil over medium heat in a medium pot. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about two minutes. Remove the garlic.
2) Add the tomato puree, white wine, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the calamari and stir to combine. Continue to cook until the mixture comes back up to a simmer, about two more minutes.
Serve immediately with the garlic toast.
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2) Meanwhile, drizzle the bread slices with olive oil. Toast until the bread is crisp and turning golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
3) Remove from the oven and rub the top of each piece of toast with the whole garlic cloves.
Serve immediately with the calamari stew.