1) Prepare salmon by removing all scales and gills. clean cavity and pat dry with paper towels. Place the salmon on a large platter and stuff the cavity with a few sprigs of thyme and dill and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with lemon juice and let marinate for 1 hour.
2) Prepare venison by removing any hair and bone bits left behind after butchering. Combine the marinade ingredients and pour over meat in either a resealable plastic bag or a baking dish. Marinate for 4 hours in the refrigerator, if possible. Can be refrigerated overnight.
For the mango salsa:
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. Refrigerate for 1 hour, if possible.
For the blueberry and chocolate sauce:
1) In a hot saute pan over low to medium heat, add olive oil, butter, onion, and pine nuts. Saute for a couple of minutes to sweat the onions. Do not overcook.
2) Raise heat to medium, add 250ml of red wine and reduce by half, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the chocolate and blueberries. once the chocolate has melted, remove from heat.
To cook and serve the surf 'n turf:
1) Brush salmon lightly with olive oil and place salmon on very hot griddle, for approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side. Remove from griddle and place on a serving platter or cutting board.
2) Place venison on hot griddle, leave them alone for about 2 1/2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove from the griddle and place on a serving platter or cutting board.
3) Serve the salmon and venison steaks with mango salsa and blueberry chocolate sauce.
4) If desired, serve with a fresh green salad on the side. Present the meal on a large rustic wooden cutting board (rugged) with kale, lemon wedges and a rustic (also rugged) baguette.
Important note: When the food hits the table, there will be no talking due to the fact that all mouths will be constantly full of fresh, delicious and very healthy food!
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.