1) Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of salt and a splash of oil to the pot.
2) Meanwhile, heat the 8 tablespoons of olive oil in a large (30-cm) saute pan. Add the garlic to the oil and cook over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley, thyme, 2 teaspoons salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
3) Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the sauce for 5 to 7 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to soften but don't break up.
4) While the tomatoes are cooking, add the capellini to the pot of boiling water and cook for 2 minutes, or according to the directions on the package. Drain the pasta, reserving some of the pasta water.
5) Place the pasta in a large serving bowl, add the tomatoes and Parmesan cheese and toss well. Add some of the pasta water if the pasta seems too dry.
Serve large bowls of the pasta with extra basil sprinkled on top and a big bowl of extra Parmesan cheese on the side.