1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 20cm deep round tin.
2. To make the cake, grind the whole almonds with the 50g of caster sugar in a food processor.
3. Beat the whole egg and yolks with the 160g of caster sugar until the mix is pale and creamy and leaves a trail on the surface. Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. Mix the cooled melted chocolate with the egg yolk and sugar mixture. Stir in the ground almonds and chopped almonds.
4. Beat in a spoonful of egg whites to loosen the mixture. Now gently fold in the remaining egg whites a spoonful at a time.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40–45 minutes.
6. To prepare the topping, place the water, sugar, cocoa powder and glucose into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes and stir.
7. Soften the gelatine in a little water. Remove the pan from the heat. Squeeze any liquid from the gelatine and add the gelatine sheet to the pan. Stir until it has dissolved. Leave to cool.
8. Once the cake is cooked, leave in the tin to cool before turning out onto a serving plate. Pour the chocolate topping just on the surface of the cake and decorate with candied lemon or extra chopped almonds.