I love a simple, moist sponge and the addition of cardamom gives it an even lighter texture. In this recipe the cardamom sponge goes perfectly with the chocolate cream. The chocolate lets the cardamom shine through in this very light cake. This cake can be easily dressed up to make it a celebration cake.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter 2 x 8 inch round cake tins and line them with baking parchment.
2. Mix all the cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk it for two minutes with an electric whisk or slightly longer by hand until light and creamy. Pour this cake mix into the prepared tins and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until done.
3. Once baked, cool it in the tins for 10 minutes before placing it on a cooling rack.
4. For the chocolate cream you can either use a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment, or a hand held electric whisk.
5. Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa powder into the butter and whisk it together until mixed. Now add the cream cheese and whisk more until light and fluffy.
6. Sandwich the two cakes with half the icing and spread the other half on top.