1. Heat the oil and fry the onion until soft and translucent.
2. Add the garlic, chillies and half of the ginger; reserve the other half to add right at the end.
3. Add the curry powder and stir to combine.
4. Add the peppers and cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Add the carrots and stir to make sure they are well combined with the other ingredients and coated in the curry powder.
6. Add in the tomato paste and tomatoes and stir.
7. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the mixture is well combined and slightly thickened.
8. Remove from the heat and add the baked beans, fresh thyme and remaining ginger and stir to combine. Serve hot or cold.