Made this? How was it?
- 1 (350ml) bottle cider
- 180ml chicken stock, homemade or reduced-salt tin of stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely
- 225g Gruyere,
- 225g sharp yellow cheddar
- 25g cornflour
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Bourbon, whiskey or applejack, optional
For the fondue dippers:
- Cooked chicken and apple sausages, chorizo, or mini hot dogs
- baguette, black bread or pretzels
- Radishes, roasted shallots, roasted mushrooms, baby potatoes, pears or apples
How to make Cheddar and hard cider fondue
1) Heat the cider, stock, Worcestershire sauce and garlic in a medium pan over a medium heat and simmer for 5 mins.
2) Toss the cheeses together in a medium bowl. Sift the cornflour over the cheese, and toss to coat lightly.
3) Using a wooden spoon, sprinkle some cheese mixture into the warm cider/stock liquid and continue to stir in small amounts of cheese until it is all incorporated and the fondue is smooth and melted, about 15 mins. Stir in the cayenne, salt and Bourbon, if using.
4) Transfer to a fondue pot or double boiler and serve with a selection of desired dippers.