Recipe by: Andy Bates
Watch as Andy Bates gives a speedy tutorial on how to make this regional classic, Cheese an...5:00
Onion cheese pie (Andy bates recipe)"I could not resist making it after watching the video, turned out fan..."
Age Restricted Content
For the cheese and onion pie:
- 800g Cheddar cheese,
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely
- 2 large eggs
- 5 tbsp double cream
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
For the water crust pastry:
- 675g plain flour
- 255g unsalted butter
- 250ml whole milk
- Beaten egg yolk for glaze
How to make Cheese and Onion Pie
For the hot water crust pastry:
1. Warm a mixing bowl and sift in the flour. Make a well in the centre.
2. Heat the butter and the milk until just boiling and pour into the well in the flour. Mix quickly.
3. Continue mixing the pastry until the dough is smooth.
For the filling:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Divide the pastry into two balls, keeping one a little larger than the other.
2. Melt the butter in a pan and gently fry the onions on a low heat until soft, then leave to cool.
3. Mix the onions into a bowl with thecheese, eggs, cream and the seasoning, and mix thoroughly with your fingers.
4. Roll out the larger ball of pastry into a lined greased baking tin. Tip the cheese and onion mixture into the pastry shell. Moisten the edges of the pastry and cover with the rolled-out top piece, crimping the edges together carefully.
5. Brush beaten egg over the top, make a hole in the middle and bake in the oven for 50 mins until golden brown and the cheese is bubbling from the hole.
Allow to cool before serving.