Chef Lee Anne Wong's pancakes with summer berry compote
1) Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together over a large piece of parchment paper.
2) In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla essence together until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and whisk until a thick batter is formed. Whisk in the melted butter.
3) Heat a nonstick griddle or pan over medium heat. Add a teaspoon of butter and swirl the pan to coat the bottom. Ladle 1/4 cup of the batter onto the pan to form a pancake. Cook until you see bubbles break the surface of the pancake and the underside is golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
4) Carefully flip the pancake to finish cooking on the other side, another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the pancakes to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm (or place in a preheated 90C oven, covered) and continue to make the pancakes until all of the batter has been used up, wiping out the pan or griddle with a paper towel after each use.
Serve with the warm summer berry compote.
Summer berry compote:
1) In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mixed berries, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice.
2) Saute the mixture, stirring often, until the berries begin to break down and release their juices, around 5 minutes. Add the salt and check for seasoning. Add more sugar and lemon juice, if desired.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the basil leaves. Serve immediately with the warm pancakes.