Recipe by: Food Network Kitchens
- 55g plus 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 6 tbsp. plain flour
- 65ml dry sherry
- 825ml chicken stock, homemade or low-sodium tinned
- 6 sprigs plus 1 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of freshly nutmeg
- 225g shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and cut into 1 -cm
- 125ml creme fraiche or double cream
- 4 2.5-cm cubed chicken, recipe follows
- 1 tbsp. snipped fresh chives
- Serving suggestions: Buttered noodles, toast points, biscuits, or crepes
- 10 sprigs parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 small carrot, halved
- 1 stalk celery, halved
- 1.35kg chicken breasts halves, on the bone and fat trimmed
- 1.25-1.5L chicken stock, homemade or low-sodium tinned
How to make Chicken a la king
1) In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 55g of the butter, and saute the shallots until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour, and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the mushrooms until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Strain the sauce into mushrooms and season with the salt, pepper, cayenne, and nutmeg. in the creme fraiche.
3) Add the minced parsley, chicken, and chives to the sauce, and bring to a simmer. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately over noodles, toast points, split baking powder biscuits or wrapped in crepes.
4) For the
5) Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and reserve the liquid. Bone and skin the chicken and cut the meat into cubes. Discard the bones and skin.
6) Strain the broth and store, covered, in the refrigerator for 3 days or freeze for later use. Remove any fat from the surface of the broth before using.