1) Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Saute the onions and garlic until the onions are soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the spices, stir to mix fully and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
2) Add the black beans and chicken and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the black beans are heated through, about 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let the mixture cool fully. Add the coriander and stir well.
1) Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
2) Lay out a sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Flour the top of the dough and roll out the puff pastry until it is about 1/5-cm thick and about 30 by 40cm in size. Trim the edges to size, if necessary. Cut 10-cm wide strips crosswise and lengthwise making 12 (10 by 10cm) squares. Make sure the squares are well floured and stack them in a little pile.
3) Fill a little dish with some room temperature water. Imagine each square you work with is separated in half by a diagonal. Place a couple of tablespoons of filling in the top half. Dip a finger into the water and moisten the edges of the top half with water. Fold the bottom half to meet the edges of the top half. Use a fork to pinch and seal the edges. Lightly brush the tops with vegetable oil.
4) Place the finished pockets on a nonstick baking sheet and bake for about 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden brown and puffy.
Tomato and pineapple salsa fresca:
1) In a medium bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, pineapple, garlic, jalapeno and green onions. Mix well.
2) Add the lime juice, sugar and salt, to taste. Toss well.