Chicken and waffle monte cristos with rosemary-maple gravy
Harlem soul food - chicken and waffles. Don't knock it until you try it.
2) Arrange the bacon or pancetta on a slotted pan or on a cooling rack set on top of a baking sheet. Bake the meat until crisp, 15 to 20 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, cut each chicken breast horizontally to make two small cutlets from each piece. Pound the cutlets very thin and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
4) Preheat the waffle iron.
5) Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a small dish in the microwave. Combine the pancake mix, egg, milk, vegetable oil, nutmeg, cheese and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Brush the waffle iron with the melted butter and fill it with half of the batter, to make four square waffles.
6) While the waffles cook, heat a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the chicken cutlets. Saute, four cutlets at a time, until cooked through, a couple of minutes on each side.
7) When the cutlets are all cooked, add a couple of tablespoons of butter to the pan. When the butter has melted, stir in the rosemary and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in the flour, stir for 1 more minute, then whisk in the stock. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then add the syrup. Reduce heat to low.
8) Make the second set of four waffles, while keeping the first set warm in the oven with the bacon.
To serve, cut the waffles into eight squares. Arrange a chicken cutlet on each waffle and top with a couple of slices of bacon or pancetta. Add a second cutlet on the bacon and cover with another waffle. Cut the chicken and bacon waffle-wich from corner to corner and serve with gravy, poured over the top or in individual ramekins for dipping.