Recipe by: Guy Fieri
For the croquettes:
- 720ml milk
- 240ml fresh chicken stock (canned broth may be substituted)
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp freshly parsley leaves
- Salt, to taste (only if using fresh chicken stock)
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 600g plain flour
- 560g chicken meat, cooked and minced
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 270g breadcrumbs
- Salad oil or liquid shortening, for frying
- potatoes, for serving
For the chicken gravy:
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 480ml chicken stock
- 2 tsp fresh parsley leaves
- Pinch white pepper and salt
How to make Chicken croquettes
1) In a heavy pan, heat 240ml of the milk and the stock on the stove and then add white pepper, fresh parsley and salt, if needed. In a separate heavy pot melt the and add the minced celery. Stir in 150g of the flour and cook for 3 minutes.
2) Pour in the hot milk and stock and stir until thickened and smooth. Fold in the chicken meat and allow to cool.
3) Shape 75g portions of croquette batter in the shape of a cone and place on a tray lined with waxed paper.
4) Next make an egg wash from the eggs, remaining milk and salt. Dip the croquettes in the egg wash then into the remaining flour and allow to stand a few minutes.
5) Finish breading by dipping the croquettes back into the egg wash and then rolling in breadcrumbs.
6) Fry the croquettes in a pan with salad oil or liquid shortening, heated to 180C, until golden brown (2 to 3 minutes). Drain well and blot on paper towels. Place on a bed ofpotatoes and top each croquette with chicken gravy.
1) Melt the in a 1L or 2L saucepan, and stir in the flour. Pour in the stock and until smooth.
2) Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook for 20 minutes. Add the fresh parsley, white pepper and salt, to taste (if fresh stock was used).