Made this? How was it?
- 8 chicken thighs, roughly 1.15kg (each thigh about 175g)
- Salt, plus 1 tsp
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 45g unsalted , softened
- 4 carrots, diagonally into 2.5cm pieces
- 4 celery sticks, cut diagonally into 2.5cm pieces
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 625ml chicken stock, from a or homemade
- 75g frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 2 tsp finely lemon zest
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Serve with cooked egg tagliatelle dressed in
How to make Chicken stew with lemon and rosemary
1) Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
2) Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Heat the oil and 15g in a casserole dish (30cm diameter) over medium-high heat. Lay half of the chicken pieces skin-side down in the skillet. Cook the chicken, until golden-brown on both sides, turning once, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
3) Reduce the heat to medium, add the carrots and celery, and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Add the rosemary, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add the lemon juice, and scrape up any browned bits that cling to the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the broth, onions, lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon salt and bring just to a boil.
4) Return the chicken skin-side up to the pot, taking care that the skin is just over the surface of the liquid, and then put the stew in the oven. Cook, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through, tender, and lightly glazed and brown, about 40 minutes. Baste the chicken occasionally in the last 20 minutes of cooking. Meanwhile, use a fork to work the remaining 30g into the 2 tablespoons flour to make a paste.
5) Remove the stew from the oven. Remove and discard the rosemary and arrange all the vegetables and chicken (reserving the juices in the pan) in a serving dish/bowl. Place the casserole dish over medium heat and the /flour mixture into the juices until dissolved. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Pour sauce over the chicken and serve immediately over buttered noodles.
- Chicken and andouille gumbo
- Chicken stew with tomatoes and esca...
- Caribbean chicken pepper pot
- Slimmed down - chicken pot pie
- Country captain chicken fricassee
- Stuffed Chicken Divan with a Sherry...
- Lamb chops with garlic and rosemary...
- Roasted Root Vegetable Lamb Stew
- Spiced lamb shanks with blood orang...
- Provencal shellfish stew
- Irish lamb stew with herbed goats c...