- 0.25 white wine vinegar
- 2.50 lbs live lobster
- 3 small new potato
- 1 celery ribs
- 1 medium red beetroot
- 1 medium yellow beetroot
- 2 Hass avocado
- 1 cos lettuce
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 to taste coarse salt
- 1 to taste fresh ground white pepper
- 1 to taste cayenne
- 0.50 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chives
How to make Chilled Maine Lobster and Avocado Cocktail
- In a big stockpot, bring salted water and the vinegar to a boil over high heat.
- Add in the lobsters and cover the pot.
- Return to a boil and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the shells are bright red.
- Lift the lobsters from the pot with tongs and set them aside to drain and cool.
- When cool enough to handle, crack the shells and remove the meat; discard the shells.
- Transfer meat to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- In a small saucepan, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water over med-high heat for about 15 minutes, or until tender when pierced; drain and, when cool enough to handle, cut the potatoes into ½ inch dice; put them in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook the celery in boiling salted water for about 2 minutes, until bright green.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove and rinse them under cold water to set the color; set aside.
- Let the water return to a boil; add in the beet, decrease the heat, and simmer about 35 minutes, or until tender when pierced; drain and when cool enough to handle, peel and cut into ½ inch dice; set it aside.
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pits; peel and cut avocados into quarters.
- Using a sharp, thin knife, cut each quarter lengthwise into 1/8 inch slices, keeping the slices attached at one end.
- Fan the slices gently and set them aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lobster meat, potatoes, celery, and romaine.
- Add the mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the salad is nicely dressed.
- Season to taste with salt, white pepper, cayenne, and lemon juice.
- Fold in tarragon and chives.
- Divide the salad among 4 martini glasses or salad plates and garnish each with 2 avocado fans and a portion of the diced beets.
(Courtesy of Food.com)